11.28.2012

Drinking coffee and listening to RHCP




 So here are the pieces I have worked on the past three weeks.  The two tall pieces (approx 24") are coil built from a white b-mix clay.  On them, I carved the image and inlaid slip (b-mix slip with cobalt carbonate). Then I sanded away the excess slip, so it only remained in the carved lines.  I bisqued fired the pieces, and then using a black underglaze pencil, I colored in certain areas, reminiscing about foundations drawing classes with Jeremiah, and trying to sharpen my pencil with a pocket knife. Feels wholesome to draw again. I am not one to keep a sketchbook, because I just end up drawing a bunch of cartoon cats.  On the slender pot I think I am going to use some clear glaze in vertical bands for the carved area only. I would like to see what the "sky" would look like left plain clay or flocked white/grayish. I also would like to mother of pearl luster those bands of glaze. I have been thinking of seasons/winter/snow because I have never explored that idea of frozen, dormant, sleep. In my previous work I have only touched upon green, summer, alive.  At least that it what I have been mulling over.  


The imagery I am working with for these two pieces are based off of my initial drive out here to Corning.  You are surrounded by fields and the occasional farmhouse and lots of gentle hills that lull you to sleep.  I have done a lot of driving in Iowa and it is sort of the only time I really have to myself. Not driving to work, but on my long drives to the studio in Dubuque and out here to Corning.  So it is precious and peaceful in a way and this cliche image of an endless road is calming and fascinating in a strange way where you think you might drive off the edge of the earth but never do. 



No comments:

Post a Comment